The AWA Advocacy Action Group looks at how best to advocate for participatory arts in general, and for Alliance members in particular, across the UK. Its aims are:
- To actively promote Artworks Alliance and the participatory arts sector with external organisations, funding bodies, government, etc at a local, regional, national, and UK-wide level
- To consider and coordinate with the various campaigns and collective efforts being put forward in the different parts of the UK which promote the various strands of arts, activism and the participatory arts sector
The Advocacy Action Group has linked up with ArtsChain in the North West of England to lobby jointly to Arts Council of England around three key asks:
- That ACE recognise Participatory Arts as a distinct sector with its own skills, competencies and needs
- That there is a radical £15 million funding programme targeted at the communities and individuals who have been worst affected by Covid-19 and are also likely to suffer most in the economic crisis
- That ACE identify ring-fenced resources dedicated to developing a Participatory Arts workforce and leadership that is skilled, supported and diverse.
This work continues in the context of positive moves from some of the other UK nations, such as the Arts Council of Wales Cultural Contract being shaped through a consultation process run by the Wales Culture Alliance and the Culture Collective initiative in Scotland.